Monday, November 1, 2010

Indian Spiced Collards and Chickpeas

My weekly vegetable box is truly a magical experience. Now that I've had the box for over a year I've almost become fully acquainted with the South's bounty. However, there was one category I kind of stayed away from last year. Greens. I would always call and say to leave them out of my box. Especially after a really bad run in with Indian spiced mustard green pizza (don't do it!).

But this year I decided I would face my greens and really try to enjoy them. I did decide that perhaps mustards weren't my green of choice, but when I got collards I didn't conveniently ignore them until they were a wilted slimy mess.

First up is another recipe for two from Eating Well Serves Two. If you haven't noticed, I am mildly obsessed with it's waist line friendly recipes. The recipe this week was actually called Indian-Spiced Kale and Chickpeas, but kale is pretty rare in the box so collards it is!

I also get really nervous about any recipe described as "Indian spiced". I don't know what it is, but sometimes those flavors don't translate to my taste buds. However, there was no curry powder in this recipe, just garam masala (which I made myself from spices in my cabinet... save that money honey). I actually loved the way it smelled and knew that this recipe might not be so bad!

Another inconvenient thing was having to prep the collards. Greens often have soil on them and require being washed. I did remember reading somewhere to fill a sink up with water and to swish the greens around and let the grit fall to the bottom. This is what I did and worked quite well.

I served it over brown basamati rice and it was very filling. I wouldn't make this all the time, but I enjoyed it. In short, I think that I am okay with collard greens. I've decided to try using collards in recipes that call for kale or spinach and see how that goes. I have a lot of collards in my fridge right now! I am really excited about a casserole from Eating Well Serves two that I plan to use collards in. Stay tuned!

Have you discovered the greatness of greens yet? How do you prepare them at home?






Indian-Spiced Collards & Chickpeas
(Serves Two)

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 to 1 1/2 pounds collards, ribs removed, coarsely chopped
1 cup vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed

Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add collards and cook, tossing with two large spoons until bright green, about 1 minute. Add brother, coriander, cumin, garam masala, and salt. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the collards are tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in chickpeas; cover and cook until the chickpeas are heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment