Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Napa Cabbage and Carrots with Rice Wine-Oyster Sauce

The last few weeks I have not received a box of vegetables due to the holidays and this outrageously icy week we've been having. So I am scraping bottom. Potatoes, carrots, and cabbage are what remain in my kitchen. Thankfully, I put a bunch of stuff in the freezer. I assure you, Mallory and I are not starving.

Determined not to let cabbage become a wallflower, I was ready to see what else I could do with it. I used half a head of cabbage and one carrot. I substituted some red onion for the shallot and dried ginger for the fresh. I think it's supposed to be a side dish, but I served it on top of some steamed rice and decided it served two. However, Mallory and I got about three meals out of it.

What's left in your fridge? Did you stock up on bread and peanut butter?





Napa Cabbage and Carrots with Rice Wine-Oyster Sauce
(Serves 4)

2 tablespoons canola oil
1/4 cup thinly sliced shallot, (1 large)
2 teaspoons minced garlic
4 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage, (about 8 ounces)
1 cup thinly sliced carrot, (1 large)
1 teaspoon sesame oil

1 tablespoon Shao Hsing rice wine, or dry sherry

2 teaspoons oyster-flavored sauce, or vegetarian oyster sauce
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt


1. Rice Wine-Oyster Sauce: Whisk rice wine (or sherry), oyster sauce, sugar and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.

2. Heat a 14-inch flat-bottomed wok or large skillet over high heat until a bead of water vaporizes within 1 to 2 seconds of contact. Swirl canola oil into the pan, add shallot and garlic and stir-fry for 10 seconds. Add cabbage and carrot and stir-fry until the cabbage just begins to wilt, about 1 minute. Stir Rice Wine-Oyster Sauce and swirl it into the pan; cook for 30 seconds. Stir-fry until the cabbage and carrot are tender-crisp, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in sesame oil. Serve immediately.


Nutrition Info
Serving - 1/2 Cup
Calories - 119
Fat - 8
Fiber - 2

No comments:

Post a Comment