Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Parties | Three Kings Day

So, one of my goals for this year is to throw a get together once a month. Sometimes it might be an intimate dinner for 6 or maybe I'll open up my home to all my friends for a casual appetizer party. The first party of the year is of the later category. Mallory and I are busy at work cleaning our apartment and preparing food and drink. I am throwing my first annual Three Kings Day Party.

I've been interested in this tradition since last Christmas. I was watching Daisy Cooks, a cooking show on Create. The host chef was talking about this really neat tradition where people celebrate the day the Three Wise Men arrived at the manger and discovered baby Jesus. I am not sure if I am going to make the King's Cake or buy it from a bakery - but this should be a really fantastic start to my goal.

I also like what this means for my cooking skills. At this point, I have a solid base of every day recipes - stuff I can cook at home and feed myself with. Now I get to discover seasonal party foods! It gives me a chance to make larger scale recipes. By the end of the year, I will have enough appetizer and snack recipes to be able to whip up something seasonal and tasty for any occasion through out the year! Don't worry, recipes for two will return soon!

Recipes Coming Up Soon to Tiny Tables:
Mallory's Stuffed Mushrooms
Mallory's Spiced Apple Cider
Winter Root Turnovers
Champagne Punch
Sweet Potato Cake with Brown Sugar Icing

Do you have a home made party food that never fails you? Or are you that person that shows up with chips and dip?

2 comments:

  1. I usually show up with pizza dip at any work parties---cream cheese mixed with various dried herbs, topped with pizza sauce and cheese. It never disappoints! Also good---spinach artichoke and buffalo dip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day I am going to need to try this pizza dip you speak of, Summer.

    ReplyDelete