Monday, June 7, 2010

Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Pizza

About the time I started dating Dennis is when I decided to get creative in the kitchen. Up until that point I was just roasting all my veggies in olive oil and eating them with couscous. Great single food, if I do say so myself. But when Dennis came into the picture, I wanted to bring up my game. So the very first thing I ever made for him was Goat Cheese Pizzas with Indian Spiced Tomatoes and Mustard Greens. I had just received mustard greens and goat cheese in my Grow Alabama box, and I thought this sounded exotic. That would sure impress Dennis! I even posted the recipe on Facebook for some feedback. My foodie friends all said "yum!". It turns out I should have gone with my instinct. The recipe wasn't bad, it just wasn't my taste at all. I couldn't even finish mine, but Dennis choked it down. I was convinced our dating life was about to be over. Who could get serious with a girl who was going to cook him nasty Indian fusion pizza? Even though at the time he said it was good, he has since fessed up to not being a huge fan.


So shortly after that fiasco, I made a MUCH tastier goat cheese pizza. I think I found it on Epicurious, but I can no longer find the original. Thankfully I have it written down. So we can all enjoy it. I plan to make it just as soon as Grow Alabama add goat cheese bake to their grocery section. I have a basil plant overflowing out of the pot, so now I don't even have to buy the basil. In these particular pictures I even made my own pizza dough in my bread maker (look for recipe and pictures coming soon!).

For Tiny Tables, I will most likely cut the recipe in half. I've made the whole thing before, and usually provided enough for the two of us, and a few slices left over for breakfast. Most pizzas you don't even need a recipe, just throw on things you like and voila you've got a homemade pizza.




Caramelized Onions and Goat Cheese Pizza
2 tsp olive oil
2 c. thinly sliced onions, separated into rings
1 (1lb) pizza crust
1/2 c. bottled pizza sauce
1/4 c. oil packed sun dried tomatoes, chopped
1 1/3 c. (6oz) goat cheese
1/4 c. chopped fresh basil

Preheat oven to 450F.

Heat olive oil over medium-high. Add onion; cover and cook 3 min. Uncover and cooked for 11 minutes (or until golden brown), stirring frequently.

Place pizza crust on a baking sheet. Combine the sauce and tomatoes, spread on pizza. Top with onions and cheese. Bake at 450F for 10min or until crust is golden brown.

Yield: 6 slices, 1 slice serving

Cal 285
Fat 9.2
Fiber 1.4


I'll leave you with a quote from The Great Outdoors...

Wife: Come downstairs, Roman is making a goat cheese pizza.
JC: A what?
Wife: A cheese pizza.
JC: No, no, no, I heard a goat in there...

No comments:

Post a Comment