Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Creamy Gorgonzola Polenta with Summer Squash Sauté

I think electronics really do have a mind of their own. Until yesterday, my digital camera hadn't been working since March. I got the dreaded lens error that killed my last camera. I changed the batteries and still, no go. Since then, I haven't been able to document any of the cool things going on with Dennis and I (Easter with his family, my sister's graduation, the zoo, etc). Not to mention I couldn't really take pictures of anything I was cooking. I thankfully I had a backlog of photos so I've been able to blog with no issues. But yesterday I realized I was running out. So, I finally go to the Kodak website (I have a warranty thank goodness). I look up the problem and the answer is "Change the Batteries" - duh! I already did that, but I humor them and do it one more time. It magically turns on. Are you kidding me?

So now you get pictures of last night's yummy meal, Creamy Gorgonzola Polenta with Summer Squash Saute. It came from Eating Well Serves Two and I was able to use my Grow Alabama yellow squash. The recipe says to use zucchini also, but I didn't have zucchini. It was tasty with out it. This was super easy to make and really flavorful. The recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of garlic, which would have been like a whole head of garlic. So I just used 1 tablespoon.

Cooking polenta can be a little tricky. So here is what I learned... I measured out the cornmeal and put into a bowl. I would whisk with one hand while I sprinkled the polenta slowly into the water. This avoided clumps that I would have gotten if I tried to pour it from the bowl. It says to leave it setting on low for 15-20min. I put it on the lowest setting on the stove, and I was getting concerned it might scorch. Thankfully Dennis has a "warming" station on his stove, so I just moved it over there. Be carefully when cooking the polenta, get the burner as low as you can. I might even take it off the heat and put it back on if your burner wont cooperate. [There are no pictures of this, cause it took both hands.]

The squash was easy peasy. Slice the squash, heat the oil, add the garlic, add the squash, sprinkle with flour, cover with broth, and top of with basil. When cherry tomatoes come into season, I plan to slice them up and add it to the squash. It will add some nice color too.



Even though I used Gorgonzola (which is a blue cheese for any unfamiliar) many cheeses could be substituted. The recipe also suggests goat cheese, but I think Parmesan or mozzarella would be good too. Just use your favorite and you should be good to go.

[If you look in the corner, you can see the recipe. I have to say, mine looked pretty dead on. Success!]

Creamy Gorgonzola Polenta with Summer Squash Sauté
1 14oz can vegetable broth
¾ cup water
6 tbs cornmeal
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
1/3 cup Gorgonzola cheese
4 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbs minced garlic
1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
1 small summer squash, halved lengthwise and sliced
1 tbs all-purple flour
¼ cup chopped fresh basil

1. Bring 1 cup broth and ¾ cup water to a boil in a small saucepan. Slowly whisk in cornmeal and pepper until smooth. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until very thick and no longer grainy, 15-20 minutes. Stir in Gorgonzola; remove the pot from the heat.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and squash and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the vegetables and garlic; stir to coat. Stir in the remaining broth and bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened and the vegetables are tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in basil; serve the sauté over the polenta.

Makes 2 Servings, ¾ c. polenta & 1 c. vegetables each.
Update 6/7/2010: We just used mozzarella instead of Gorgonzola. It was good, but we've decided that Parmesan might be the best substitute when Gorgonzola isn't around or wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment