Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Corn and Black Bean Bundles

This has been a good week for me. First, Fall finally decided to arrive! Which means I will probably be spending as much time outside as possible before it actually gets cold. My scarves are coming out of retirement and my sandals are getting packed away. It's pretty awesome.

Second, I finally got my pink thrift store bike in working order. The only thing I need now are a new seat, bike lock, and basket. Hopefully you'll see me rolling down with cool sunglasses, a scarf, and a loaf of fresh baked bread. I mean, what's the purpose of cool pink bike except to look like a hipster?



So after one shaky ride from Dennis' house. I made us a very light refreshing dinner. I probably should have made a soup to go with the nice chilly night. But instead I chose cold vegetarian wraps with slaw (more on the slaw later). I needed to use up some lettuce and I was trying to come up with a cheap meal. Instead of red bell pepper, I used half a red onion for color and some more zing. I didn't have any Boston (Bibb) lettuce left, so I used some leaf lettuce. It was a bit messier, but we had fun eating with our hands. These were quite yummy and would also taste fine on warmed corn tortillas.

I got this great recipe from Weight Watchers Turn Around. I go back to this cookbook again and again because the whole thing has recipes that work with the Core (now Simply Filling) program. I lost all my weight following the Core plan and recommend it to anyone struggling with weight.

The recipe claims to serve four. However, Dennis and I devoured them all by ourselves. I think the cookbook thought you'd be serving something more substantial with it (it was in the Brunch and Lunch section). If I were serving it for brunch I would serve them with a southwest style omelet.

Messy = Grumpy?


Corn and Black Bean Bundles
(Serves Four as Light Lunch)

1 (19-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained.
1/2 cup corn kernels
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
4 scallions, sliced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 garlic clove, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 head Boston lettuce, cleaned and separated into leaves

1. In a medium bowl, combine the beans, corn, bell pepper, scallions, cilantro, lime juice, oil, cumin, garlic, and salt. Refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hours to allow the flavors to blend.

2. Place a lettuce leaf on a work surface and spoon about 1/3 cup of the bean mixture down the center. Fold one side of the leaf just past the center, so the filling is covered. Fold the other side of the lead to overlap the first. Repeat, using all of the bean mixture, making a total of 8 bundles. (save any extra lettuce for a salad.)

Tip: If you're in a time crunch, simply spoon the bean mixture into lettuce like tacos.

No comments:

Post a Comment