Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Fresh Okra with Tomatoes and Ginger

I am that freakazoid who loves it boiled. Most people hate it boiled because the slime factor grosses them out. Okra is a vegetable that most people only eat in gumbo or deep fried. Don't get me wrong, those are both excellent - but there are some really cool ways to enjoy okra. Last year I made a okra and chickpea curry which I liked.... but Indian food is still one I am on the fence about. So this year I made one very similar to the original, but only this time with out the curry and chickpeas.

This recipe comes from Epicurious. This time last year I was mildly obsessed with the website. People would ooo and ahhh because I was cooking Gourmet Magazine recipes. However, I kept going back cause it was one of the few places that I could find interesting recipes for fresh vegetables.

This is technically a side dish, but I served it to Dennis and I as a main dish. I just put it on top of some whole grain rice pilaf to make it substantial. I made it the night before so that all I had to do was make the pilaf and then we could eat. It was also an attempt to get us to eat at home more. If it's already made maybe we won't go out to eat so much.

I used dried ground ginger instead of fresh (about 1tsp, maybe a bit more). My tomatoes probably should have been bigger, but when I reheat it for dinner I'll add a little chicken broth. This was super easy to make and I think it would freeze well (in case you found yourself with a lot of extra tomatoes and okra).






Fresh Okra with Tomatoes and Ginger
(Serves 4 to 6 as a side.)

2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 (2- by 1 1/2-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger, chopped
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3/4 to 1/4 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
3 large tomatoes, cored and quartered
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 lb small fresh okra, untrimmed

1. Pulse garlic and ginger in a food processor until finely chopped and transfer to a 12-inch heavy skillet. Add oil and red pepper flakes to taste and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.

2. Pulse tomatoes with salt and black pepper in processor until coarsely chopped and stir into oil in skillet. Cook, uncovered, over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Stir in okra and simmer, covered, until just tender, about 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment