Thursday, September 30, 2010

Cilantro Slaw

As promised the other day.... the yummy slaw recipe!

It's cabbage season guys! That's right, get excited. And cabbage will be here until spring so you best be getting used to it. So sit back and let me share with you how to make cabbage fit into your regular diet.

And F*** everything you've ever heard about cabbage, because it's wrong. Cabbage is an under loved and under-appreciated vegetable. I find that a lot of cookbooks try to make it something that it's not. Cabbage... and least the mainstream green variety... isn't a mover or shaker of the vegetable world. Nope, we'll leave that to Arugula and other micro greens that chefs love to talk about. Cabbage is what we commoners cook with. It's cheap and will last FOREVER in the back of your fridge. Qualities us lazy Americans love in our produce.

Firstly, let me tell you I have been around the block with cabbage. Just ask Dennis. I think we tried two different kinds of cabbage rolls, one even had feta in it and they weren't good. I tried some kind of stir fry, but I bought the wrong kind of meat and the sauce wasn't great. So it was stir fried cow chew in brown mystery sauce.

Secondly, I have never liked the traditional creamy slaw most people love. I cringe whenever I see KFC slaw (I must know how you dice cabbage up that small!). It was just an excuse for people to copious amount of mayonnaise and still say "But there are vegetables in it!" It wasn't until I was introduced to Zoe's Marinated Slaw that I realized that I could give this slaw thing a whirl again. Furthermore, It wasn't until I had pineapple slaw on some fish tacos that I became a slaw convert.

So I actually found this recipe on Epicurious when I was thinking about making my own fish tacos. In fact, if you have any slaw leftover from this recipe it would be perfect on top of some grilled fish tacos!

The recipe calls for pre-cut cabbage mix. And if you are really that lazy and would like to pay more for less cabbage, then by all means go for it. However, I typically just shred all my cabbage in my Salad Shooter or Food Processor and make two or three different slaws out of it to serve as a winter side salad. If you half the recipe, then it is quite perfect for two people. You can use the rest of the cabbage in a soup or a different slaw recipe!

So here it is guys. The first slaw recipe of the season. Enjoy!




Cilantro Slaw
(Makes 5 cups)

12 ounces purchased shredded three-color coleslaw mix (about 7 cups)
1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons canola oil
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1. Place coleslaw mix and cilantro in large bowl. Whisk canola oil, lime juice, salt, and pepper in medium bowl to blend. Add to cabbage mixture; toss to coat.

1 comment:

  1. This one is my favorite! I have never liked slaw, but I LOVE this one, and I've shared it with people on campus who have also raved. :-)

    ReplyDelete