Friday, September 3, 2010

Food Waste Friday - Peach Fuzz Edition

I love peaches.

They make summer worth it. There is just something about that delicate fruit that calls to me. Sure, canned peaches don't taste bad. But they don't really taste that good (trust me, I try to convince myself otherwise with every can).

I can bite into that fuzzy flesh with no problem at all.

And let's not forget the peaches best quality... it kind of looks like a butt. And something about fuzzy butts leads to lots of off color jokes that I enjoy so much.

But in all their glories, they have one downfall. They like to rot and they like to rot fast.

The expression one bad apple ruins the bunch should change. I've had apples in a bowl that will last longer than a month and never rot like a peach. However, you put peaches in a bowl together and in less than a week you'll have a bowl full of muck with fruit flies taking over your small South Side apartment.


Now I am sure you are all wondering why I just don't eat them all, make cobbler for two, or make that peach ice cream I promised my room mate? The answer is... I don't know.

So for this long overdue Food Waste Friday, I can proudly report that I haven't thrown anything away but a few stray peaches over the last few weeks. But I am going to gobble up every peach in site. Because this is most likely the last week I'll see fresh peaches until next June.

So long my fuzzy friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment