Monday, September 13, 2010

Meatless Monday | Sweet Potato Burritos


Sweet potatoes and I started out on the wrong foot when I was younger. The weird texture and sweet flavor was too much for my tween taste buds to handle. The consistency was a lot like squash and back in the day... squash was my arch enemy.

Oh the horror!

But we aren't talking about my breakthrough with squash today. But soon my friends, soon. Through some miracle (of the butter and brown sugar kind) I came to love sweet potatoes. And on all those Live Journal quizzes under favorite food was proudly listed "Sweet Potato".

Since then, I have discovered all kinds of yummy ways to eat sweet potatoes (with a fox in a box). So when I found this recipe I knew I had to try it. Sadly, I do not know where I got this one. I just have it saved in a document and I am just now testing it out.


I cut this recipe down by a lot. I was only feeding two people, so there was no reason to make twelve burritos. However, I didn't want to have that "half a open can of beans" conundrum. So I just used a single can of black beans instead of 1.5 cans. I used a single can of black beans and about 1 cup water. It was a little too much water, but I let the water cook out and I got a nice consistency. I used two medium sized sweet potatoes and that was the perfect amount. I baked the taters, let them cool, and then scraped the flesh out with a knife.

The recipe also calls for burrito sized tortillas. I could not find whole wheat burrito sized tortillas. So I used fajita sized whole wheat tortillas - they came in a pack of eight. I mismanaged my fillings and only came out with seven burritos. Next time I'll try to spare out the filling a little better to get eight.

These could definitely be frozen on a cookie sheet and then put into a zip top bag. Then you could pull one out and heat it up in the microwave. While these burritos look kind of small, they are very filling. I'd serve them with slaw or some other green veggie.

If you make the full recipe be prepared for lots of left overs. Division is your friend! These would be great for game day or feeding a bunch of people on the cheap. However, if it's just you and your room mate. Enjoy two or three and freeze the rest for another day. Enjoy!

Tip: Put the filling to the side.




Sweet Potato Burrito
(Serves 12)


1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups canned kidney beans, drained (variation: black beans)
2 cups water
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
4 teaspoons prepared mustard
1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
3 tablespoons soy sauce
4 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
12 (10 inch) flour tortillas, warmed
8 ounces shredded FF Cheddar or Soy Cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. Heat oil in a medium skillet, and saute onion and garlic until soft. Stir in beans, and mash. Gradually stir in water, and heat until warm. Remove from heat, and stir in the chili powder, cumin, mustard, cayenne pepper and soy sauce.

3. Divide bean mixture and mashed sweet potatoes evenly between the warm flour tortillas. Top with cheese. Fold up tortillas burrito style, and place on a baking sheet.

4. Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven, and serve.

1 comment:

  1. This is one of our family favorites. I was first introduced to the recipe from Laura at I'm Losing it Here (www.thinnerandwiser.wordpress.com), I wonder if she was the source of your inspiration? They are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete