Friday, November 26, 2010

Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree


It's now officially okay to put up your decorations. For any of those you who started early, shame on you! While I am not currently home to decorate my own apartment, I will be soon! No cats to get in my way there! I am so excited because my excursion home will most likely allow me to bring back some of my beloved Christmas decorations. As most sentimental people will say, Christmas is often bitter-sweet for anyone who has lost a loved one.

My mother made the holidays extra special, but Christmas was her forte. Our house would get completely redecorated until December 31st. I am talking down to the trash can in the bathroom. As I got older I would describe it to friends as "It looks like Santa threw up in my house." But that was what made Christmas so much fun, it was just completely over the top, kitschy, and completely mom.

It never ceases to amaze me how long it's actually been since I've seen her. In fact I had the biggest blip I've had in a long time. I was talking about going home for Thanksgiving and I actually said, "I can't wait to see my mom." It took me completely by surprise and it really shows you how much a parent's imprint can't be removed.
I am looking forward to sitting down with my sister and going through mom's decorations. It will be interesting to see what random little item brings back the strongest memory. My taste (and appetite for that matter) for Christmas decorations aren't the same as my mom, but whenever I hang an ornament on the tree I can still hear her saying "don't forget to hang some on the back".

But besides that... I wanted to tell you that in terms of Christmas Music, I always keep it simple. Sure, I've bought a few CDs here and there and I tolerate the music on the radio. But for the most part, I can't stand modern pop Christmas. For as long as I can remember, we have been listening to The Time Life Treasury of Christmas (volumes 1 and 2) from the late 1980s. We had the records people! Mom would crank it up the day after Thanksgiving and we would be going to town putting out wreaths, dishes, and door hangers. I like the music collection because it really has a frozen in time feel. And I will be listening to it from now until Three Kings Day!

2 comments:

  1. So sweet...I can even imagine what it's like to lose a parent. I know the holidays are tough :( But remembering the little things and carrying on with the traditions you grew up with is a great way to remember! And PS, I totally think we need to have a Three Kings Day party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's already in the works, Summer!

    ReplyDelete