Monday, November 22, 2010

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili

Getting tired of soup season yet? I didn't think so. So today's recipe is another winning combo - black beans and sweet potatoes. Honestly, I could probably just eat both of them cooked and mashed together by themselves. Remember recently we tried out Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos - and they were a hit with all who tried them. I was tempted just to make those again, but when I sit down to watch some TV I like the easiness of bowl in one hand spoon in other. It works well.

I also amazingly didn't have to use canned tomatoes. There are still tomatoes in my box? I am really perplexed by this, but I am going to attribute it to our Indian Summer we had this year. Did you know... an Indian Summer is classified by the unseasonably warm temperatures after the first frost that makes the leaves change colors. I did feel strange crunching leaves on the sidewalk with my flip flops. Oh the joys of the South! Back to the tomatoes... because they weren't canned, I added them a little earlier in the simmering process to give them time to break down and flavor the soup.

I topped it with a little sour cream and shredded cheddar. It was super filling and tasty. The chili was made for two servings, but my girlish appetite probably will be pulling three out of this bad boy. The last little bit might have to be eaten with a grilled cheese.

Do you have any out of the norm chili recipes you'll be making this winter? Do you let yours sit in the fridge for seven days before it's ready to be served? Please share in the comments section.





Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili
(Serves Two)

2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, finely diced
1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile
1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 1/3 cups water
1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
1 cup canned diced tomatoes
2 teaspoons lime juice
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro

1. Heat oil in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sweet potato and cook, stirring often, until the onion is slightly softened, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, ground chipotle, and salt and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add water, bring to a simmer, cover, reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the sweet potato is tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes and lime juice; increase heat to high and return to a simmer, stirring often. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook until slightly reduced, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.

Recipe from Eating Well Serves Two.

3 comments:

  1. I have a ballin' recipe for potato and corn chowder that I will be posting soon...it was amazing! I love soup weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking about making soup this week! It's a Cooking Light recipe for White Bean Soup with Kale and Chorizo. I'll post it on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summer, I think you should invite your little friend over to test the recipe.

    Jennifer, I have made a kale and white bean soup before. It was great, so I can only imagine how great it would be with chorizo.

    ReplyDelete