Sunday, December 19, 2010

Old-Fashioned Corn Bread

Everybody needs a corn bread recipe, but I don't need a pan of corn bread going stale on my counter. Corn bread is one of those foods that I only really enjoy fresh out of the oven. So when I found a Small Batch Baking version of this southern classic, I was thrilled. This would go great with many of the soup recipes I have written about.

These muffins do come out a little dark due to the molasses. So they don't really remind me of traditional southern cornbread, but they are tasty on their own (I tried a few bites before I used them in another recipe). I used a regular muffin pan instead of a jumbo muffin pan and all was okay in the world.

This particular batch is not going to be enjoyed on its own. I'm making this cornbread recipe for another small scale recipe that I will be sharing with you tomorrow! That's right, this recipe is the first in my Christmas Dinner 2010 series! It starts today and ends Wednesday. By then you will have enough recipes to serve the perfect Christmas Dinner for two! Complete with dessert!

How are you spending these last few days before Christmas? Are you done with your shopping? Doing any last minute fun holiday activities? I want to hear all about it in the comments section!



Old-Fashioned Corn Bread
(Serves Two)

1/3 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons light or dark molasses
White or 1 large egg
1/2 cup yellow or white cornmeal
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons unsalted butter, melted

Pan Required:
1 jumbo muffin pan (3/4-cup capacity)

1. Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 450F.

2. Place the buttermilk, molasses, and egg white in a small bowl and whisk to blend.

3. Place the cornmeal, sugar, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt in a medium-sized mixing bowl and whisk to mix well. Add the buttermilk mixture and whisk just until the batter is blended.

4. Place 1 1/2 teaspoons of the melted butter in each of 2 muffin cups. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, dividing it evenly between them. Fill the empty muffin cups halfway with water to prevent them from scorching. Bake until the corn bread is crusty around the edges and springy to the touch, 9 to 10 minutes. Remove the muffin pan from the oven, and place it on a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes. Carefully pour the water out of the empty muffin cups. Turn the muffins out of the cups and serve hot or warm. (they are best eaten the day they are baked but will keep for up to 1 day in a plastic bag at room temperature.)

No comments:

Post a Comment