Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Quick Roast Chicken & Root Vegetables

I made this recipe one weekend when Mallory was gone. I had just cleaned up the kitchen really well and was ready to try a new recipe. I found this new winter favorite from  the book EatingWell on a Budget. I actually made several changes. I roasted a chicken last summer and it was delicious. I couldn't believe people weren't roasting chickens every other day! I put the leftover chicken on sandwiches and I am pretty sure some of the meat found its way into a fritata. I am not a big fan of having a lot of leftovers (because it invites food waste), but there was no reason any of that chicken was going to be wasted.

I used chicken legs and thighs instead of breasts, substituted oregano for the marjoram, used half a red onion instead of a shallot, and balsamic vinegar for the red wine vinegar. Trust me - none of the substitutions took away from the recipe. I halved the recipe - but my proportions were still a little off. I used three chicken pieces when I should have just used two. And I think I cut up too many turnips and potatoes. I got about three servings out of it and that is pretty much what I ate all weekend. I served it with  beer braised cabbage. It's too good not try people!

Do you roast chicken and vegetables regularly?








Quick Roast Chicken  Root Vegetables
(Serves 4)

1 pound turnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1 pound baby potatoes, quartered
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram or 1 teaspoon dried
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 bone-in chicken breasts (12 ounces each), skin and fat removed, cut in half crosswise
1 large shallot, chopped
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons red- or white-wine vinegar

1. Preheat oven to 500°F.


2. Toss turnips, potatoes, 1 tablespoon oil, marjoram, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper together in a medium bowl. Spread in an even layer on a large baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, place flour in a shallow dish. Transfer 2 teaspoons of the flour to a small bowl and whisk in broth; set aside. Season chicken with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Dredge the chicken in the flour, shaking off excess. (Discard any leftover flour.)

4. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken, skinned-side down, and cook until well browned on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.

5. After the vegetables have been roasting for 15 minutes, stir them and place one piece of chicken, skinned-side up, in each corner of the baking sheet. (Set the skillet aside.) Return the vegetables and chicken to the oven and roast until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes more.

6. When the chicken and vegetables have about 10 minutes left, return the skillet to medium heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Whisk the reserved broth mixture again, add to the pan and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced by about half, about 8 minutes. Stir in mustard and vinegar. Serve the chicken and vegetables with the sauce.

Per serving: 333 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 72 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 31 g protein; 4 g fiber; 770 mg sodium; 1033 mg potassium.

No comments:

Post a Comment