Friday, November 19, 2010

Citrus-Scented Black Bean Soup with Chipotle Cream

I want to call this a pantry recipe, but I am not sure it is. I happened to have everything I needed except cilantro and I decided, even though it hurt my soul a little, that we would just go with out it. I also needed a much needed break from greens (see posts here, here, and here! - and that's not even all of them yet). So I went for a black bean soup that I knew Mallory and I would enjoy while watching one of our favorite shows, Big Bang Theory. I also had tons of oranges from my box that needed to be used. The seasons really do determine how I cook.

This is a straight forward recipe and I did only some minor changes. I left out of the cilantro like I said, but it was really only because of a time crunch. I also used cayenne pepper instead of chipotle because that's what I had in my pantry. I also just completely opted out of the green onions and decided they would be no real sacrifice I do not have a micro plane (aka zester). So I actually have to carefully peel off the skins of citrus with a vegetable peeler and then dice it up as fine as I can. I am on the hunt for one at the thrift store, until then... this will do. I also didn't puree it until smooth, but rather used my immersion blender to get it to a nice chunky state.

I actually have a really fun citrus recipe planned, but you will have to wait! Do you use citrus to cook with? Please share in the comments section!








Citrus-Scented Black Bean Soup with Chiptole Cream
(Serves Two)

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium red onion, chopped
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
3/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon lime juice
4 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream, divided
Pinch of ground chipotle
2 scallions, thinly sliced

1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Add cumin and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add beans, water, orange zest and juice, salt and pepper; increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil, stirring often. Transfer to a blender with cilantro, lime juice, and 3 tablespoons sour cream. Puree until smooth (use caution when pureeing hot liquids).

2. Combine the remaining 1 tablespoon sour cream and ground chipotle in a small bowl. Serve the soup garnished with the chipotle cream and scallions.

Recipe from Eating Well Serves Two.

No comments:

Post a Comment