Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Lamb Chops with Lebanese Green Beans

This was hands down the yummiest meal I have ever eaten at home. Dennis actually cooked the meat while I cooked everything else. The next best part.... the meal (if portioned out correctly) is under 500 calories! EatingWell never lets me down (examples here, here, here, and here)! I may actually have to subscripe to their magazine if they keep up with the great recipes.

This is not an every week meal, hell it's barely an every month meal. However, there is no reason not to treat yourself to a special meal every now and then. I was actually just browsing the EatingWell website for greenbean recipes. Lebanese beans are something Dennis and I have both enjoyed at festivals and restaurants, so I knew when I found the recipe it would be a winner. However, it was attached to a whole meal plan that consisted of lamb chops and whole grain pilaf. I made it all and we ate it all! It was so good! If you happened to have missed the Middle Eastern Food Festival here in Birmingham, AL - then you can relive it at home!

I actually called ahead to make sure Publix had lamb chops. I absolutely cut this recipe in half. I had no desire to spend $20+ on meat. V Richards also carried lamb chops, but I didn't care to know what they charged. If you don't like lamb or can't find it, steak would substitute nicely.

The lamb is actually simply seasoned, seared, and finished in the oven. A task I gave to Dennis. The green beans were quite easy to prepare and I know this will most likely be how I make green beans in the future. If you don't have fresh tomatoes, buy canned whole tomatoes and chop them up. I did thin out the beans with some broth (cause I don't think I put in quite enough tomatoes) and cooked them until they were soft. That's how Dennis and I prefer them, but if you like your beans firmer, then cook as desired.

I'll post the recipe for Whole Grain Pilaf another day!








Lamb Chops with Lebanese Green Beans
(Serves 4)

1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, or 2 teaspoons dried, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
3 cups diced tomatoes, (4-5 medium)
1/3 cup water
12 ounces green beans, trimmed
8 lamb loin chops, trimmed (1 1/2-1 3/4 pounds total)

1. Preheat oven to 400°F.

2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and light brown, about 5 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon fresh mint (or 1 teaspoon dried), cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and water and increase heat to high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes begin to break down, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in green beans. Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the green beans are tender, about 12 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, sprinkle both sides of lamb chops with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the lamb chops and cook until browned on one side, about 2 minutes. Turn them over and transfer the pan to the oven. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into a chop registers 140°F for medium-rare, 6 to 10 minutes, depending on thickness.

4. Stir the remaining mint into the green bean mixture. Serve the lamb chops with the green beans.

1 comment:

  1. this really does look yummy! we should cook together sometime.

    ReplyDelete